Jalapeno poppers are one of my most favorite things it the world. They are my go to dive bar food. I get them EVERY time I go to Sonic. I simply can’t get enough. So when I started to watch my diet, I knew right away I wouldn’t last long without these little bites of awesomeness in my mouth. The problem? The traditional jalapeno popper is a calorie laden, deep fried mess. So my mission was to create something as delicious as possible without dunking it oil.
Makes 8 servings (2 poppers each): 75 calories | 5g carbs | 4g protein | 4g fat
Here’s what you need!
8 jalapeno peppers
4 oz reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese or mexican blend (I used a 2% milk cheese)
1 scallion, minced
4 egg whites
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs (you only use about half, but the extra makes coating easier)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp powdered ranch dressing mix
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, ground to bits
Here’s what you do!
1. While wearing gloves, slice the tops of each jalapeno, then slice down the middle so you have two even pieces. Use your fingers to remove the seeds and other random things from the center of the peppers
2. In a bowl, combine cream cheese, shredded cheese and scallion until well mixed. Fill each pepper with the mixture.
3. Combine panko bread crumbs, garlic powder, ranch mix, paprika, chili powder, and crushed red pepper. Add a little salt and pepper if you feel like it… you can never go wrong with some salt and pepper.
4. Roll each popper in the egg white, then in the panko mixture. Be sure to shake up the panko mixture after each popper to break up any clumps and to make sure the spices don’t sink to the bottom.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until bread crumbs are golden brown and filling is hot and bubbly.